Drugstore vs. High End


Nowadays there are so many different versions of makeup products ranging from a few pounds to extortionate amounts. It's very easy to think if something is more expensive it must be better than the cheaper alternative. However, this is not always the case as drugstore brands have been really upping their game recently. 

When it comes to foundation, I look for a product with good coverage and something that will last all day and keep the shine at bay. The Revlon Colorstay Foundation is one of the best drugstore foundations that I have tried. The one I use is specifically for oily/combination skin and it lasts really well throughout the day. The only place that I find it can come off is my nose but apart from that it wears quite well. This foundation is fine for just wearing to work, but if I want more coverage and a more flawless base, I have to use a higher end foundation. The Kat Von D Lock It Foundation and the Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation are two of my favourites and do not budge. So in the foundation round, high end wins.

When I discovered the Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade I thought I would never find anything that compares to it. However, at only £5.50, the NYX Eyebrow Gel does a pretty good job, the only downside is that it isn't as easy to apply because of the way it is packaged. But once it is applied to the brows, it does not budge and keeps them in place all day. It takes a lot to be comparable to my beloved Dipbrow and because of that drugstore wins this round. 

For some reason I own about 10 concealers, which is way more than 1 face needs. Concealer has become one of my favourite makeup products recently. The drugstore concealer I always go back to is the Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer. This really is comparable to a higher end concealer and I find that the consistency of it reminds me of the Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer. The only thing that gives higher end concealers, like the Nars one and the Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer, the edge, is that they have a wider shade range. However, I would say drugstore wins this round simply because concealers like the Collection one do just as good a job for a fraction of the price.

It would be pretty impossible to find a brand that doesn't offer a range of matte liquid lipsticks. They are probably the most popular makeup item right now and are available for every budget. The Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipsticks are my favourites. I love that they last so well on the lips and don't dry them out despite being so matte. However the drugstore versions are very comparable, especially the Nyx Liquid Suede Cream Lipsticks. These dry completely matte but are so comfortable on the lips because they are a cream formula. I'm going to give this round to drugstore, simply because the matte liquid lipsticks you can get from drugstore brands are such good quality and are so affordable. 

Mascaras can be quite hit and miss for me, whether they are drugstore or high end. I have used some really good drugstore mascaras like the Maybelline The Rocket and the Max Factor Masterpiece Max Mascara. But I've also used some terrible ones like the Maybelline The Falsies Push Up Drama and the Max Factor False Lash Effect. Equally with higher end mascaras I've loved the Benefit Roller Lash and the Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara, but I did not like the Tarte Lights Camera Lashes. I would much rather buy a cheaper mascara and discover I don't like it, than spend over £20 and end up not liking it. I also find that more expensive mascaras don't always make my lashes look fuller and thicker than drugstore ones which is why drugstore wins this round. 

Overall I have found that drugstore products really can hold their own against high end products. They are often just as good, or sometimes even better than a more expensive product for a fraction of the price, of course this is all personal preference, but it shows that you don't always have to spend more money to get good quality makeup. Do you prefer drugstore or higher end products? 

Comments

  1. I have never tried a brow product packaged like the NYX one - I am really intrigued to give this ago. Plus I completely agree with your praises regarding the Collection concealer. No matter what high end concealers I try, I always go back to it! I do agree though, I wish they extended the shade range.

    I love these kinds of posts :)

    Leanne xx
    nailsandteapots

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts